Thursday, January 28, 2010

Evening Work on the Rear Axle

I've spent a little time after work yesterday and today on the Mustang. I really want it in working order by this weekend. Work has been stressful and I want the project done. I'm doing a little in the evenings so I can spend more time this weekend relaxing for the week ahead at work.

Last night, I installed the brake backing plates, wheel cylinders, brake junction/hose, and then ran the brake lines. I rolled the rear axle under the car on my creeper and positioned it on the leaf springs which were still laying on the ground (but connected at the front). I put on the U-bolts, spring plates, and nuts. At this point, I called it a night.

Tonight, I installed the axles and put gear oil in the rear axle. I then raised one leaf spring at a time to install the shackles. It was a little difficult to get everything to line up on the shackles but they are in.

The remaining work includes:
- Connect rear shocks
- Torque shackle bolts
- Torque U-bolts
- Connect rubber brake line
- Reinstall drum brake hardware
- Bleed brakes
- Install driveshaft

I'll easily be able to complete this project by Saturday morning. It has started to rain and is expected to rain on Saturday. I hope everything dries quickly so I can drive around some this weekend.

No comments: