Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ignition Problem Strikes Again!

When driving 70 MPH yesterday, I noticed the tachometer read 2,600 RPM. With a 25.5" rear tire and the new 3.25 gear, I should run near 3,000 RPM at 70MPH. This would lead me to believe the new 18 tooth speedometer gear is not correct. I asked my wife to follow me around the block so we could see if the speedometer is indeed off and if so by how much.

I started the Mustang to warm it up and it died after about two minutes. I tried to start it again but it would not start. I immediately started troubleshooting parts as I know from past experience this intermitent problem does not last long.

I disconnected a spark plug wire (#5 cylinder) and connected it to a test tool. The test tool connects to a ground and has a small, adjustable gap. If the ingition is working, you can see the spark jump across the gap. This was not occurring so I know the problem is ignition related.

I then grabbed the spare coil from the trunk and installed it in the car. I left the spark plug tool in place and tried to start the car. I still had no luck starting the car and no spark. The only thing left are the components inside the distributor (primarily the Ignitor I).

I was not sure how to check the Ignitor. After a few minutes, I tried to start the car and it started just fine. I searched the internet and found the following image which contains the test procedure for an Ignitor. If I can get this to happen again, I'll test the Ignitor.



I'm ready to begin driving the Mustang again. This has me tempted to go ahead and buy a replacement Ignitor points conversion kit. However, there is now an Ignitor I, II, and II kit. Each works best with a different coil which stinks as I just purchased the one which works best with an Ignitor I.
I considered buying a new distributor but most are billet and would look entirely out of place. My distributor currently in the Mustang is not original to the car. The part number for the distributor is F3OF-17127-HB. The part number for the correct distributor is C7OF-12127A.

No comments: