Friday, January 15, 2010

Rear Gear Install Complete

I picked up the 3rd member today. The work cost much more than I expected. I was told it would be $115.00 labor. The total was $186 due to the pinion and carrier bearings. Although this is more, it is still less than labor alone at any other place in town.

Jason showed me the wear pattern on the ring gear. It was centered on both the drive and coast side of the gear. He commented that the gears must be very well made. He stated they lined up perfectly which is becoming a rarity.




They had all of my original parts in a box. I loaded them up without going through the box. I was dressed in a white shirt and tie which would have been covered in grease had I dug through the box. Unfortunately, I made it home and found I was not given the Timken bearings I provided which were not needed. This would normally make me angry but I'm too stress from work to think about it now.

I'm ready to install the rear gears but have not finished the housing. Since I've been so busy at work, I've not been working on the parts at night like I originally planned. I'm not too concerned. The main thing is I'll need it all together by February because that is when work is going to get really busy. I don't think I'll have trouble meeting that deadline.

No comments: