Sunday, March 6, 2016

Instrument Cluster Project

As I drove around last night, I noticed two problems with the instrument cluster I'd forgotten about.

The first problem is related to how I installed the Autometer gauges.  When I installed the gauges, I had to remove the bezels to fit them behind the stock panel.   The difficulty is that there is nothing to hold the glass face on each gauge without the bezel.  I'd read a few people had luck with super gluing them on so I took that approach.

The approach worked great until the glass face was back light by the instrument cluster lights.  Then it was apparent there was a residual or haze caused by the super glue.  In order to fix it, I used some super glue remover to take the glass faces off.  I then used some clear epoxy to attach them back on.  I tested the new solution out and it looks much better.

The second issue issue is with the headlights and the instrument cluster lights.  They seem to pulse in intensity.  Additionally, when I turn the dimmer for the instrument cluster lights, they will just turn off.  This was related to the new headlight switch I purchased.  I was replacing the factory one which worked fine because I was afraid it would go out and leave me without headlights.  Luckily, I kept the original and reinstalled it which corrected this problem.


No comments: