Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Disappointment with Bilstein Sport Shocks

I've found that if I hit a bump in the road, the front of the Mustang makes a loud noise.  At first I thought it was something loose.  However, as time has passed, I've considered it is most likely the shocks not being able to adequately control the improved coil springs on the Mustang.  This lead me to searching for a new set of front shocks.

After searching for a while, I settled on some Bilstein sport shocks sold by Street or Track.  It was a tough decision as the shocks are $125 each.  The price of one of these is what I spent on the entire set of KYB shocks currently on the Mustang.  However, I decided to go ahead and buy a set with my birthday money.  If they solve the problem, I'll buy a matching set for the rear.

The shocks arrived a few days ago, and I set the boxes in the garage without even checking the shocks.  I decided to pull them out of the boxes tonight to look them over.  I was surprised to find both of the shocks are rusted on the top mounting points.  Needless to say, I'm rather disappointed that the new $270 set of shocks are rusted.


I've sent an email to Street or Track about the shocks but don't really know what options are possible.  I'd hoped to install these before the trip to Goodguys next weekend.  If I ship these back for a new set, that is certainly not possible.  I could media blast and then paint them and it would work out fine.  I just don't feel that is something I should need to do to make a brand new set of $270 presentable.

I guess I'll wait to see what I hear back from Street or Track.  

No comments: