Saturday, March 19, 2016

Temporary Fender & Valence Repaint (Part 2)

I had a few hours this morning to work on the Mustang so I decided to start on the paint job.  With any luck, I plan to finish it up this week and have everything reinstalled by the end of the week.

My supplies consist of some paint thinner, two cans of Bahama Blue Metallic (8 oz each), a can of Banzai Blue Metallic (12 oz), some 600 grit sand paper, tack cloth, and a can of Eastwood Diamond Clear which is not shown below.


I removed the bumper, front valence, and fender.  I cleaned then first with some standard 409 all purpose cleaner just go get the road grim off as quick as possible.  I scrubbed them all with paint thinner and a 3M scuff pad which removed all the dirt and residual.  In advance of painting the panels, I wiped them a few more times with paint thinner and then took off any lint with the tack cloth.

A few areas needed some sanding to smooth out a paint chip or scratch.  I did not spend too much time doing it as the rest of the car is going to be sub par to this rattle can paint job anyway.  Any area which was down to bare metal was covered with some black Krylon primer I had in the storage closet.  


The weather was rather cold and windy outside so I decided to just paint the parts in the garage so I could get it done.  A jumped right in despite concern the metallic would look strange mixing two paints or that the color would be off once it was placed on a larger panel.  I already had the paint so there was very little to lose.


The light in the garage was not that great so I had to move outside to put the Banzai Blue Metallic paint on the panel.  Since the paint is so thin and not that much different in color, I needed the outdoor light to make sure I did not miss any spots.  The wind caused me a few troubles but it was not too bad.  Once the valence was painted, I had to pack it up for the day as we had plans out of town.

No comments: