Thursday, March 10, 2016

Rear Suspension Height Issues

Last Saturday, the entire family hopped into the Mustang for a trip to Chili's for lunch.  The rear suspension height is really low to start with but with the trunk fully weighed down and everyone in the car, the back end was really low.  So low, that when I hit a bump, I could hear the tire drag.

I checked the car after it happened the first time and found no damage.  I decided it take it easy and finish out the trip.  However, on the way back, we hit a big bump and it sounded quite bad.  When I made it home, I checked the tire to find something damaged the side a little.


I checked the fenderwell and found an uneven piece of metal which must have caught the tire.  I took out the air grinder and made it smooth so that it would not happen again.  However, it was clear the rear of the Mustang was going to need to be raised up some.  I found the best option was a set of extended shackles for the rear leaf springs.  A few days later and Summit had them on my doorstep.

My understanding is that these 1" extended shackles should raise the back end by 5/8".  That is not a ton but it is better than nothing and seems to one of the only options.  Just to check for myself, I started off the process by measuring the rear height and found I'm at 25".  This is with stock shackles and Grab-A-Trak 4.5 mid eye leaf springs.


The actual part is made by Scott Drake.  The part number is C5ZZ-5776-GTL.  


I measured them and compared them to the stock size shackles.  They are 1" longer at 5.5" from bolt center to bolt center.


It took a while to install them over the last two nights.  The bushings just did not want to come out and the new ones were just as hard to get in.  However, I was able to get the job done.

Update: After driving around some, I checked the height of the rear and it seems it was raised by about 3/4".  I drove to Buffalo Wild Wings a few days ago with my wife and the raised height seemed to keep it from rubbing.  The real test will be putting the kids in the back seat and driving around.


No comments: