Sunday, March 20, 2016

Temporary Fender & Valence Repaint (Part 3)

This morning, I started on the driver fender using the same process described below for the front valence.  I used all the Bahama Blue Metallic paint in no time.  Thankfully, it was enough to fully paint the fender.


With just the Bahama Blue Metallic paint on the panel, it has a real teal color.  The Banzai Blue Metallic darkens it slightly and gets the match better to the current color on the Mustang.


The wind again caused me some trouble.  If it blows even a little, it causes the metallic to not be 100% consistent which is a pain.  However, I'm not going to be in town the next two weekends and wanted it done so I tried to be patient and wait for it to stop and then pushed through with the job.

Once I finished the panel, I covered the fender and the valence with two coats of the Eastwood Diamond Clear.  The paint dries to the touch real quick but needs 24 hours to completely dry.  I started thinking of a place to put such a large fender while it dries so that it would not get damaged.  The led me to install it on the car which is not the best idea with wet paint but I was cautious and hung it with two bolts up top and one on the bottom.

With it in place. I decided to drive the car into the sun and take a quick picture of how it turned out.  The color is not a 100% match and the metallic could be a little more consistent but it turned out quite good.  Much, much better than the black previously on the fender and valence.


The color along the hood does not seem to match but that is because all the clear coat is off the hood and the paint is really faded.


Once I put the rocker back on along the bottom, put on the front valence, and the bumper it should look pretty good.  The metallic matches really well.  The paint in general matches the original panels which still have clear coat really well.  It is a little lighter and the lack of oxidation makes it stand out just a little.  However, once everything is back on the car, I don't know that the average person is going to be able to tell that much.

All in, I've got about $50 in it because the Banzai Blue Metallic was $30 because it was a custom mix which had to be shipped to me.  More than I wanted to spend but not bad.

No comments: