Thursday, March 17, 2016

New Front Bilstein Shocks

I purchased a set of Bilstein shocks for the front of the Mustang from Street or Track.  They are a special set which are custom tuned for a Mustang with stiffer front springs.  They are quite expensive so I did not buy an entire set.  I felt like I could judge the improvement from the front shocks and determine if I want to buy a matching set for the rear.

The first set I ordered arrived with the upper mounting points rusted.  I returned them and Street or Track sent me a new set.  The new set are in better shape without any rust.


The shocks are quite easy to install.  The only catch is that the top mounts to a metal piece in the Mustang.  The mounts for the original shocks were larger.  These larger mounts messed up the paint so I had to repaint the shock tower caps.  I did that Tuesday evening and finished up the install on Wednesday.


You can tell from the picture above the Bilstein shocks (black) are much larger.  They have a larger cylinder and piston which allows for better control of the stiffer coil spring.  They also have a lifetime warranty which is nice.

My wife and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner in the Mustang and they ride quite smooth.  They are certainly better than the ones which I had.  I think I'm going to upgrade the rear in the next month of two.

No comments: