Saturday, March 5, 2016

Preparation for Goodguys

I've spent a little time work on the Mustang to prepare for the drive to Goodguys this coming weekend.  I'm not really worried about the trip but it honesty makes me a little anxious driving the Mustang.  It is almost like I can't relax as  much as I do when going on a trip in any other vehicle.

I purchased a new Kidde auto fire extinguisher and mounted it under the passenger seat.  The 2.5 lb bottle came with a bracket which I mounted to the seat riser.  I don't like putting holes in the car but this keeps it out of the way and from rolling around.  I hope I don't need it but I figured it would be safe insurance.  The old one I've been using is so old I'm a little worried it would not work correctly.



As I prepared the car, I noticed the engine was about a quart low on oil.  I topped it off with Valvoline VR1 race oil (10W30) which is designed for flat tappet cams.  Once the quart was added, the dip stick showed it was between the second to last and the last fill indicators.  The mileage is currently at 2339.

The Mustang is good on brake fluid and transmission fluid but I'll take some transmission fluid just in case.  The coolant level was likely fine but I was able to top it off just a little.  I'll be taking a little extra water also as the most likely issue I'll have will be with cooling the engine.

I adjusted the headlights after dark tonight.  The driver side needed to be angled down a little.  Once that was done, I found that they lit up the road quite well.

I packed up some items in the trunk for the trip as well.  My tool box has just the basic tools that I might need.  I have a little gas, a half gallon of water, and the grey container has all my maintenance parts including plug wires, filters, belts, and other items.  I kept most the items I originally took off in order to use as backups.  I also have jumper cables on the left and a socket set on the right.


No comments: