Monday, July 16, 2018

New Intake Manifold - Intake Installed

This evening after work I installed the new intake manifold.  I started by cleaning all the mating surfaces several times with paint thinner to ensure everything was completely clean.  I then installed four 4" bolts with the heads cut off to help in aligning the intake for install.

I used Permatex Gasket Sealant around a few bolt holes on the head itself and then on the mating surface of the intake gasket.  While it started drying, I put some Permatex Ultra Grey Gasket RTV around the water ports below and on top of the intake gasket. I then installed the gaskets and test fit the intake to see the amount of RTV which would be needed at the edges.


The intake came back off at that point and I put a bead of the Ultra Grey in the corners of the intake followed by a bead across the front and back.  I then put the intake on one last time and installed all the bolts finger tight.  I let the intake set for 45 minutes like this and then torqued all the intake bolts down in the proper sequence to 20 ft-lbs.


I waited to install the intake as I decided last minute to switch to a Fel-Pro 1250S-3 intake gasket because it has a steal core.  Sounds like overkill but I don't want this thing cracking and coming apart like the last one did.  I'll just sell the 1250 gasket I purchased along with the old intake manifold.


No comments: