Sunday, July 22, 2018

Small Projects for the Weekend

The next projects I'd like to work on focus on improving driving comfort....

1) Seal interior better
2) Reduce exhaust noise
3) Improve stereo system
4) Add air conditioning

I decided to start with sealing up the interior a little better. 

There is a hole in the firewall where I ran in the O2 sensor wire.  I expected to only run it temporarily so I did not do much to fill the hole.  Now several years later, I picked up a rubber grommet from Lowe's and used it to seal up the area so the O2 sensor still works but no fuel or exhaust smell comes into the cabin.

I then decided to start work on fixing the seal around the steering column.  The stock seal is horrible.  I've replaced it three times and it continues to rip.  I'm thinking through a way I could build something different that uses a different style of weatherstripping which will hopefully hold up better.

While checking around the truck, I found the reverse light wiring seals were not put into the trunk drop down panels well.  I managed to get these back in place which could keep some more exhaust smell out.

There was also a small seal where the license plate wiring went through the taillight panel.  I found a way to use a small gasket to mostly seal of this area which should help further with exhaust fumes.

I'm taking these steps not because the exhaust or fuel smell is bad now.  However, my wife does not like to ride in it because she says it smells.  Additionally, if I get an A/C, I will be able to smell it more than I do now as I'll be driving with the windows up more.


No comments: