Saturday, July 28, 2018

Replacement of Steering Column Seal

I've replaced the column seal between the steering column and firewall on three separate occasions now.  Each time, the new seal seems perfectly fine when installed but begins to rip or generally deteriorate in a year or two.  This then allows air in from the engine compartment.

This time, I decided to buy a steering column seal for a 1969 Mustang to see if it would work in a 1967 Mustang.  While I was originally concerned, the bolt pattern matches perfectly.  The steering column angle is the same.  The collar which slides down the column fits quite well.  The revised design does not seem to put stress on the rubber so I'm hopeful it will match much longer.


There is no much to see with this particular part so I don't have pictures to share.  I did have to remove the steering column again to get it installed.  While out, I touched up some of the paint on the steering column to keep things looking nice. 

No comments: