Sunday, June 2, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - AC Part 13 - Finalizing Wiring

I spent the morning working on the electrical system which runs the fans.  Both fans are wired to come on as needed for the A/C or based on the engine temperature.  The wiring could have been greatly simplified if the smaller fan only ran based on the A/C.  However, I figure I will take advantage of all the cooling power regardless of what is generating the need.

The temperature control knob and the relay shown in the middle of the diagram are mounted to the radiator shroud.  The other two relays are mounted along with the headlight relays near the radiator support on the passenger side.  They are mounted using a bracket I made from more of the 1-1/4" angled aluminum.


I've tested the system to confirm it is activated by the trinary switch (ground the output wire) and the fans both turn on as expected.  The first two times I did it, the condenser fan turned on and then back off while the other fan continued to run.  I kept testing it trying to duplicate it and had it occur one more time out of about ten attempts.  The wiring is all shared so this is just due to the fan breaking in (doubtful), due to the relay (lowest one in set), or a problem with the fan.  

I'll have to drive to the shop with the grill and valence missing.  This allows them access to the current pressure switch so they can remove it and put in the trinary switch.  I don't really like others working on my car so I've tried to do all the work myself.  I'm sure they don't like it as it is all hand made and they don't know how any of it works.  Regardless, I'm hopeful to get the system charged again tomorrow after taking it on a test drive this evening to ensure the temp based can control still works fine.  



No comments: