Monday, June 3, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - AC Part 14 - System Recharge

I took the Mustang to get the refrigerant removed, trinary switch installed, and then the system refilled with refrigerant.  The cost was $125 for an hour of labor.  The air conditioner works but I'm a little timid to use it on high as it starts raising the engine temps. 

The temperature today outside was 95 degrees.  While driving the last few days, the temperature has increased to 195 but then stops.  On the way home with the AC on medium, the temperature went to 210 and sat there.  I drove a bit after dinner and the temperature climbed even higher until I just turned off the AC.  This is concerning.

I made improvements to the cooling system as part of the AC install.  I'm a little disappointed that things now run hotter with the A/C off.  I even went with the Spal condenser fan thinking it would be added insurance.  It seems I'll be able to run it for 15 minutes but will then need to turn it off to drop the temps.  I'm not sure what will happen when we start to hit 100 degrees.

I made it home after driving this evening and popped the hood.  The instructions stated to rotate the compressor by hand after charging the system before installing the belt.  I had the shop follow the steps which means they installed the belt.  IT was not tight enough and has been rolling in the grooves of the belts.  This explains why it felt like it was blowing colder at some points than others.  Perhaps this would cause things to get hotter than they should?


I think a 49" belt will work better than a 49.5" so I'm going to go ahead and purchase a new one as this one is frayed in places and is a little deformed from the heat of rolling through 

No comments: