Saturday, June 1, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - AC Part 12 - Condenser Fan & Block Off Panel

I searched for any type of foam or panel which would close the gap between the radiator and condenser without success.  I then started thinking of how I might be able to make something myself.  After checking the metal selection at Lowe's, I came up with an option.

I fabricated a block off panel between the condenser and radiator for the passenger side of the assembly.  The panel is made from 1/16" right angle aluminum which is 1-1/4" wide.  I shortened one side to only be 1/2" thick and the other 1-1/4" side was a near perfect fit to seal the opening.  I then painted it with Krylon 1613 semi-flat black and bolted it in with stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts.  


I started with a block off panel for the passenger side as it had the largest gap.  While each side could benefit from a block off panel, the bottom and top are somewhat enclosed.  The driver side is just a bit too hard to block off due to the tubing and receiver dryer.  I may do the other sides later but for now I want to see how things perform with the single block off plate and a fan.  I have enough left that I can make something for across the top if needed.


I then mounted the Spal 30100374 fan to the condenser.  This is a pusher fan that I mounted with a set of Spal mounting brackets.  They screw to the top and bottom rails as did the mounting brackets for the condenser.  I'm not sold this is the best long term option but I think it will certainly work in the short term.  The fan certainly seems secure enough.


The fan fits about as perfectly as possible between the condenser and the hood support bracket.  There is very little additional room available and I did not need to cut anything.  I'd recommend it for anyone in this same position.



The last of the tasks for the day was to wire up the new fan and trinary switch.  I took the front valence off for easy access.  With the relays for the headlights exposed, I decided it would be best to just make a new relay bracket to hold the headlight relays and both relays for the new fans.  Once I had it built, I decided to call it a day and handle the actual wiring tomorrow.

No comments: