Thursday, June 6, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - Radiator Upgrade 1 - Removal & Maintenance

Last night, I started some preparation for a last minute project.  I can't have the Mustang overheat so I've decided to purchase and install a big block style three core radiator.  I've saved some money for a paint job and I dipped into it in order to buy the items needed.  

In preparation, I drained the coolant first and then removed the hoses, radiator shroud, overflow tank, radiator side covers, and fan controller.  The fan was removed from the shroud but is left wired and sitting in the car so as to not cut the wiring.  I then removed the radiator and set it aside.  The task was fairly easy which means something will soon go wrong.  




Tonight, I removed the upper condenser mount as it is missing two holes needed to bolt the big block radiator mount to the radiator support.  I drilled and then filed away to create the two oblong bolt holes.  I then decided I would reshape the top of the panel as it stuck up slightly above the radiator support in an annoying way.  With the top rounded, I then sanded it down and painted it with more of the Krylon paint.  

With that done, I checked the torque of all the rims and set the air pressure in the tires to 30psi.  I then filled a two gallon gas tank and placed it in the trunk in preparation for the trip.  I'm working to do just a bit each evening so I'm ready without stressing out when the day comes.

No comments: