Saturday, June 1, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - Test Drive

My daughter and I went for a drive in the Mustang this morning to put a few miles on it in advance of the trip to Tulsa.  We drove a total of 80 miles on the highway at speeds between 65 and 75.  The temperature was rather mild at only 80 as we started at about 8:30 in the morning.

There were no issues with the Mustang for the whole trip.  The engine temp made it to 180 and then slowly made its way up to 194 after about 20 miles.  It then stayed at 194 essentially the entire time.  We turned around in a small town and were stuck in traffic due to a wreck for a few minutes but it did not seem to matter.  

The A/C is still not finished and I expect when running that it could cause some additional heat under the hood.  I did have a few new parts arrive that I expect to install this weekend.  Those plans include a Spal 10" pusher fan (#30100374) which will be mounted in front of the condenser, new Spicer U-joints for the driveshaft, and a trinary switch to operate the fan.  

The plan is to run both fans off temp and the trinary switch.  I could change it over time to run the radiator fan off engine temp and both off the trinary.  However, as a starting point, I think it would be best to have as much air moving as possible.  I've a 100 amp alternator and little running on it so I don't expect to have any charging issues.  


No comments: