Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - U-Joints & Fluid Check

This evening I replaced the u-joints with new Spicer units I purchased from Summit.  I feel a slight vibration on deceleration and thought it best to replace them to see if they were the cause.  I'm quite sure I replaced these previously but have no record of it to know exactly when or what brand I used.



The following u-joint is from the yoke section of the driveshaft.  It looks worse than it is but the new one certainly has a much tighter feel.  I pressed them into the drive shaft with my hydraulic press.  The new u-joints came with several different sets of locks but I did the .058 set as that is the size of what was already installed.  



This is the rear set.  The new set does not have any grease zerks.  They are suppose to be maintenance free for life. 



When this task was done, I installed a new 49" belt on the air conditioner.  I then checked the fluid level of the rear axle which was good.  Some transmission fluid leaked out when I removed the driveshaft so I needed to add a little Merc-Dex to get it topped back off.  I checked the oil level and it is exactly at the middle of the three dots on the dip stick so I need to top it off.  Current mileage is at 3420 since the engine rebuilt. 

No comments: