Monday, May 8, 2023

HRPT Prep 18 - More Coolant Leaks!

Today, I stared up the Mustang and let it run for a few minutes to get it up to temperature.  I then topped off the coolant and ran it for about 20 minutes to check the cooling system.  I didn't expect any leak and really didn't look for a while.  When I did, I noticed a leak on the driver side at the timing cover.  Strangely, it was only on the engine side of the gasket.


I cleaned up the small amount of coolant with paper towels.  I then checked the bolts and they were all fairly tight but I added a little more torque.  I then started it again and watched closely for the source of the leak.  However, it did not leak.  I let it run for 25 minutes and no leak.  Once it cooled, I tightened all these bolts again to about the same level of torque which is closer to 30 than 20.

I'm not sure what to think of it.  I really didn't expect the amount of additional torque I added to the timing cover/water pump bolts to fix it.  I've done this job four times now and it has always leaked somewhere but never in this spot.  I'm hopeful that it is fixed but rather doubtful.

I adjusted the fan controller to turn on at just above 180 degrees.  With the testing for the coolant leak, I had several opportunities to confirm the fan controller is set properly.  However, in the process, I noticed that the fans do not come on with the A/C which is something I'll need to look into further.  

I also didn't realize but the #1 spark plug was on the header and burnt.  As always, it seems like one step forward and two steps back.  At least the car is running again... hopefully without a leak.


No comments: