Monday, May 22, 2023

HRPT Prep 22 - Resealing the Front Windshield

This project to remove and reseal the front windshield started a few days ago.  I've been very apprehensive about starting as it is something entirely new for me and I was initially concerned I'd find some rust which would cause the project to get larger than I have time to accomplish.  However, I remember how horribly is leaked when my son and I went to Tulsa and we can't have that happen again.

My first step was to remove the trim around the windshield and inspect the seal pull away all the dried out and brittle sealant.  At this time, I was still thinking about the possibility of just putting more sealant around it.  I checked around the entire perimeter with a pick tool looking for any sign of rust but couldn't find anything concerning.


I already have the windshield gasket (Scott Drake C5ZZ-6503100-A) and a new set of trim clips that I purchased after the Tulsa trip.  I had the CRL-7708 sealant arrive Thursday night which is the last of what I need.  There was really nothing left but to either start the project or find some reason to procrastinate further.  After delaying until about 5 o'clock Saturday night and then decided to push forward and remove the windshield.

The windshield was easier to remove than I expected.  I essentially cut away the portion of the gasket holding in the windshield and lightly pushed it out from the inside.  My daughter and I then picked it up and set it on a mat behind the Mustang.  I then pulled the rest of the seal off the car with no effort.  Surprisingly, there was almost no sealant and under the gasket was mostly just accumulated dirt which would have made any plan to just reseal it in the car fail.



Before calling it a night, I cleaned up the mounting surface.  There is really no rust at all and all of the little stubs that the trim clips mount to are in good shape.  I then watched the two videos again that I'm using as a guide to do the job properly:


On Sunday morning, I cleaned more of the pinch seam that the windshield mounts to using a small wire wheel, a 3M 100 grit sanding block, and then a 3M 180 grit sanding block.  I wiped everything down several times with paint thinner.  There were a few areas of surface rust but no holes clean through (one is super close in the middle at the top).  I coated those areas with some VHT Rust Converter (SP229) and waited until the rust turned black but not the full recommended 24 hours (only about 1.5 hours).

After the Rust Converter was somewhat dry, I coated everything with some Rust-oleum dark grey primer (#2089830) and waited 30 minutes for it to dry.  I then top coated it with some Rust-oleum satin black (#7777830).  While I four hours for all of that to dry, I worked on cleaning up the windshield edges with a razor blade and some window cleaner.  


With the window clean, I dry installed the gasket on the windshield and ran a 1/4" nylon rope in the rubber that seals around the car's pinch weld.  I taped the excess to the center of the windshield on the inside portion of the glass.  I'll use this later to pull the inside lip of the rubber gasket around the pinch weld.  

I covered the hood and top of the car with plastic drop cloth and taped it right up to the edge of where the trim would land on the body.  I covered the top of the dash with painter's tape.  While it all initially felt a little like overkill, I don't know if you can have enough protection for this type of project.  With that done, I took off the rearview mirror which I almost forgot and installed all the windshield trim clips.

I put a medium size bead of CRL-7708 on the windshield side of the pinch weld.  On the top and bottom, I put it right into the corner of the body panel.  I made sure to get it good around the clips so that they would not be dry.  I then put a medium size bead on the gasket on the side which faces the interior but not on the rubber which is actually pulled into the interior.  All said, I used one full tube.  I really expected to use more but it seems like I had plenty.


My son helped with installing the windshield.  We lifted it up and sat it on the bottom pinch weld in the middle.  We pushed it down so that it seated in the middle and then worked to center up the windshield using some reference marks I made before removing the windshield.  The windshield kept shifting to the passenger side so we had to keep checking it while we worked to pull the ropes to seat the bottom.  

The gasket caught on a rough piece of metal and ripped a little on the inside bottom portion passenger side but there was no turning back.  Sealant was squirting out of the small tear so I'm sure it sealed but it bothers me.  We worked up both of the sides of the glass with my son hitting the windshield while I pulled the rope and pushed the seal into place.  We then did the same along the top.  The bottom and sides seem quite seated as does the top except in the corners.  I slapped the windshield repeatedly trying to work it into place for quite some time.  

I'm sure the CRL-7708 with harden up some but still stay flexible.  I'm wanting to see how the top corners turn out when that happens.  You can push down on the top corners and it will move in some on both sides.  However, I can't get the top or sides to budge any and it is fully seated at the bottom so there is nowhere else really to adjust to fix it.  I've got plenty of sealant in the corners so if it firms up a bit there will be nothing to worry about.

I have some 3M 08609 which is a urethane sealant which I'm going to use between the outermost seal and the windshield.  I've not seen too many do it this way but this is how the Mustangs to Fear video suggested do it and it seems a solid approach.  He waited until the following morning to do that part and I'll do the same.

Before calling it an evening, I cleaned everything with mineral spirits first and then with Windex.  The sealant makes a huge mess but I was able to get everything off.  I used almost a full roll of paper towels and likely 15 pairs of gloves.  I imagine the part that is left will be much easier.

Today, Monday, I sealed the gap between the glass itself and the gasket with 3M 08609 exactly as described in the Mustangs to Fear videos.  I then waited several hours until it was hardened and installed the trim around the outside.  Everything went together well and I'm glad this project is done.  If it does not seal perfectly, it will no doubt be better than before.  I'm not sure yet if I want to test it out.  



No comments: