Thursday, May 25, 2023

HRPT Prep 24 - Trinary Switch Replacement, Freon Refill, & Local Shop Frustrations

Today, I decided to take my Mustang to a local shop to have the A/C work done which is one of the last big hurdles.  I really despise taking my car to any shops as the experience is always negative.  Unfortunately, this time was no different.

I talked to the tech (Buster) personally about the work that was needed.  He would remove the freon, replace the trinary switch, pull a vacuum and check the condenser connection for a leak, and then fill it back up.  The A/C would still blow cold but without the trinary switch, the fan would not turn on, head pressure would spike immediately, and the A/C would turn off.

I dropped the car off at 7 AM since they don't take reservations so I would be first in line.  I waited until 1 o'clock and then called to check the status.  The lady said they had not started as they marked that I needed the work done by Saturday which was a full two days later.  They had since filled the shop with other work and the only option was to leave it overnight and they would do it tomorrow.

I carried on working unsure if I would let them keep it overnight.  I then received a text that it was ready to be picked up.  My frustration then hit an all time high.  I was charged $105 to swap the trinary switch.  I was then charged $210 to empty and refill the system.  I was also charged $64.49 was two days from now.  That seems excessive especially for the trinary switch that is connected by one plug and by screwing it in.

I went to pick it up and they said there was no leak but I don't know that I believe they checked.  I asked if there were no leak, why the system needed 1.5 lbs of freon.  The guy then acted as if he were doing me a favor because he only charged me for 1.5 but they could have put in more.  I think he missed the point and I then commented the system only holds 2 lbs.  

I was obviously frustrated and asked what happened if all the freon leaked out.  He said that they would fix it at no charge.  Unfortunately, when that happens, I'll probably be in North Carolina.  He said the best option was to come back the next day to talk to the tech.  That doesn't generate much confidence and my daughter graduates tomorrow so I won't have the time.

To add to my frustration, they had my car still in the shop on a small lift.  Two guys were leaning on it like it was their car smoking with the windows all down.  When one started it to pull it out, he had to rev it excessively for some reason.  Again... I hate taking my car anywhere as no one does the type quality work that I do and most of the time they can't even tell you what they did.

The $140 trinary switch installed.  You can see the area on the cross member where I believe freon has leaked out.  You can even see the green color dye but they state there is no leak.  I suppose I'll clean it up and then run the system to see if I see more there afterwards.

05/28/23 Edit: The day after this post, I cleaned the front crossmember up.  I then checked how tight the lower line into the condenser was and found it to need a little tightening.  I did so and then left a nicely folded piece of paper towel under the connection where the liquid was before on the cross member.  After 36 hours, there was nothing on it.  I drove around a bit with the A/C turned to high with the paper towel taped into place.  Even after cool down, there was nothing on the towel.  

I repainted the lower crossmember on the 27th and then drove it to Houston on the 28th with the paper towel still in place and covered by the front valence.  After over two hours of driving, I pulled out the paper towel and there was nothing on it.  I think it is safe to say it doesn't leak.



No comments: