Saturday, May 20, 2023

HRPT Prep 21 - Another Test Drive & Fender Emblems


Last night, I decided to install a few emblems I ordered that came in the mail yesterday.  I decided to install them in the driver fender as it is the aftermarket fender that I painted to match the rest of the car as best I could.  It looks a little off without the emblems and looks out of place to me.  I'm hoping this helps it blend in a bit more with the rest of the car.

The two emblems are both from Scott Drake.  The pony emblem is a C7ZZ-16229-C and uses pins to attach it to the fender.  The MUSTANG letters are part number C5ZZ-6540282- SK and stick on with 3M tape.  The pony emblem matches the original and fits in the exact same holes.  I had to drill them though due to the new fender but I had the original to make a template of the placement from.  The MUSTANG letters are slightly smaller than stock but I spaced them out just like the originals even though they are a little smaller.



This morning I pulled the car out and looked at the emblem placement in the sun which is better than my garage lighting at 9PM.  My first thought was that they looked a little off.  However, I measured and each letter is 5 9/16" to the bottom from the top of the molding.  They are in the perfect spot but it could just be the body lines that are not parallel to the ground throwing me off.



I'm not proud of it but there are some small rust spots in the truck floor and in the rear deck panel by the trunk lid that I 'fixed' today so they will not leak on the trip.  The holes in the trunk floor are actually at the seam with the wheel wells.  I 'fixed' this with just a bit bead of black RTV so that I can clean it off to repair it right later.  I then used metal with a thin coat of JB Weld placed under the rust spots in the rear deck so they would be completely sealed.  It doesn't look horrible but will be solid enough to stay and not allow any leaks.

I then worked on the radio to get the color set back right, and all the tone controls right.  I confirmed the oil level is good, there were no leaks from yesterday (coolant or oil).  Everything under the hood looks great.  I checked the fuel sender wiring and it is on there solid so I'm not sure if the fluctuations were just because it was low on fueld or what.  Since all looked well, I decided to go for another drive.

This time I drove around at 2 o'clock with temperatures only at 82 degrees.  I drove a bit around town mostly 30 mph with stop lights and then hit the highway and drove 70 mph for quite a while.  In total, I drove around for about an hour and 20 minutes and put 65 miles on the car.  

The car is working great.  The car has 33 PSI of oil pressure at idle and about 50 PSI when cruising around in almost any gear.  I'm enjoying the new transmission and going 74 at 2,200-2,300 RPM.  The car stayed between 180 and 185 for the entire drive.  I confirmed the speedometer with a GPS app on my phone and the speedometer is perfect.

The only new thing I noticed is a guy stopped beside me at a light to tell me that my brake lights don't work.  I'll need to check the wiring to the brake pedal as something must have come loose when I finished up that work.  I'm glad he stopped to say something or I would have never thought to check.

Some type of Audi wanted to race me.  I normally don't bother but for some reason I did.  He caught me by surprise leaving the stop light and I stayed at his back fender from then until we hit 65 or 70.  I'm not sure what type of Audit it was because I was really paying no attention.  Funny enough, I was changing the song on the radio and flipped to Fuel by Metallic as the light changed and he punched it.  By looking at a few online, I'm wondering if it was a Audi Q5 which will go zero to 60 in 5.6 and the quarter mile in 14.2 which is about what I think my car would do at this point. 

No comments: