Saturday, May 27, 2023

HRPT Prep 28 - Ignition Timing Adjustment

After originally switching to a carburetor, I had so many problems with tuning it properly.  I ended up changing jets and working initial timing until it would not hesitate when given throttle.  Years later, I learned there was an intake leak that likely caused most of the problems.  The car is often hard to start when hot and I've always thought it was just because the carb was getting too hot but recently thought better of it and decided to adjust the initial timing.

I remember the initial timing being at 16 degrees with 20 degrees advance.  However, with I check it now with the new harmonic balancer, it is at 14 initial and barely reaches 30 degrees total.  I'm not sure why it isn't set right but I've the parts already which came with the distributor so I went to work first adjusting it down to 12 degrees at idle.  

There are three limiters advance in the distributor and they are:
No Mark - 12 degrees advance
Blue - 16 degrees advance
Red - 20 degrees advance

After setting the initial timing to 12 degrees advance, I checked the distributor and found one with no mark and a blue limiter in place.  One set of instructions states that you can mix and match.  Since I had about 30 total, it really seemed to just be going of the blue mark one.  I switched to a blue and a red and ended up with still about 30 so it went up by 2 since the initial timing dropped by 2 and the overall timing stayed the same.

I ultimately switched to use both reds and it is now at 12 degrees initial with about 32 degrees total.  I probably should just take them out completely but the instructions don't indicate that level of advance so I've not done it yet.  Nothing will get hurt at 34 degrees so I've left it like that for now.


I drove about eight miles this way and had no problems with performance or pinging.  It started much easier when warm (180 degrees) in the garage.  However, when I returned and tried to start it hot in the garage, it still took flooring the gas and cranking to get it to start.  

No comments: