Sunday, May 14, 2023

HRPT Prep 19 - Small Project Day

This weekend was Mother's Day and I only had a little time on Sunday to get some work done.  I started with installing a new set of MSD Street Fire (#5543) spark plug wires.  They are the same set that I installed several years ago but my current set has two wires that have touched the exhaust.  This new set was almost identical except they no longer use copper connectors and a few of them are shorter than before but not in a way that makes them harder to install.


While installing the new plug wires, I swapped out the plugs with a new set of NGK FR5 7373 plugs.  The old plugs were in awesome shape so it wasn't entirely necessary but I'll save the old ones in the spare parts bin.  The new set came gapped to .043 so I left them that way put a little antiseize on them and tightened them into place.  While everything was out, I took the opportunity to check the torque on all the header bolts now that they have gone through a few heat cycles.  

With that spark plug job done, I trimmed the speedometer cable grommet to fit around the new clutch linkage and and pushed it into place.  The seal is nice and tight so I don't expect any problems from it.  

I purchased a Summit Racing feed line set (SUM-220100BN-B) for the carburetor as the current setup has leaked a little and I thought using something a little more insulated would be a good idea.  Unfortunately, it requires removing the built in filters that are in each inlet to the carburetor.  That seemed like a bad idea so I just took all the fittings on the carburetor feed line I have apart and put some Permatex fuel resistant sealant (#85420) on them all.

The last thing I worked on was modifying a clutch fork cover for the transmission.  I'm disappointed the one I ordered didn't fit and when I ordered another brand, it was the same part with a different label over the top which fit just as poorly.  I had to cut the portion that slides into the transmission to reshape it and then drilled a hole in the back end for the bleed line to protrude through.  With the modifications done, I coated it with some Rustoleum satin black.  I'm going to let that dry overnight tonight and then install it after work tomorrow.


I now have only three weekends until I leave for Power Tour and one of those my daughter graduates from high school and we will have family over.  I've not really put many miles on the car with all these modifications.  I'd hoped to address that this weekend but it rained all weekend long.  In addition to driving, I have the following on my list that I'd like to get done:
  • Reseal windshield
  • Address A/C leak & trinary switch failure
  • A/C idle solenoid
  • Adjust parking brake

No comments: