Thursday, May 25, 2023

HRPT Prep 25 - A/C Throttle Solenoid & Coolant Leak

With the A/C working, I wired up the Holly #46-74 fast idle solenoid that will hold the throttle at a higher RPM when the A/C was running.  I wired up a relay for most of the install when I rewired my fan relays.  This relay is mounted where the old voltage regulator was installed and required just two wires.  The first was the positive trigger wire connected to the compressor lead and the other was the output to the solenoid.  

I used the Holley appropriate Holley bracket but the alignment for the solenoid push rod was horrible.  It did not make contact with the throttle linkage where is should and instead the bracket itself kept the linkage from fully releasing.  I had to cut, grind, bend, and then paint it so that it would fit right.  I then painted it with a combination of aluminum colored paints so it would blend in a little better.  The final product looks good.  


The relay is fairly accssible and is nearest the fender apron in the picture below.  The relay nearest the radiator is for the fan and controls the fans turning on based on temperature.


With the bracket for throttle solenoid mounted as far away from the carburetor as possible, it will hold the idle at 1,000 when the A/C is on.  This is a little high but isn't bad.  My normal idle is 750 RPM but when the A/C was on without the solenoid, it would drop to 650 RPM and run rough.  I'll take it.  It will hold the idle but not push it up so if the A/C kicks on while idling, you need to blip the throttle to get it to jump up to 1,000.  No big deal.  I knew it when purchasing it. 

Unfortunately, while working on this, I realized I have yet another coolant leak.  This one was not present before and seems to have appeared from driving.  I can't tell 100% where it is from.  As before, I tightened the bolts on the timing cover and water pump a bit more and will see if it stops leaking.  Unfortunately, it discolored the new paint.  It makes you think all the work you put into something is hardly worth it.


Edit 05/25/23 - As I sat awake unable to sleep last night, it occurred to me this might not be a leak.  The reason I can't find a leak is likely because it came from the radiator overflow that I topped off the night before.  That would explain why there is no visible source and that it just popped up now.  I went outside the following morning planning to clean it up and touch up the paint but everything just wiped off!  This is a much better outcome than I was expecting.

No comments: