Friday, May 19, 2023

HRPT Prep 20 - First Real Test Drive & Windshield Prep

Today, I left work a little early and went for a relatively short drive at around 4:30 in the afternoon.  The temperature outside was 90 degrees and I drove for about 50 minutes for a total of 35 miles.  I drove in some stop/go traffic, through a few areas with a 30 mph speed limit, and then ended the trip with a good stretch at 55 mph.  The engine temperature was always between 180 and 195 with is mostly being towards the higher end unless I was going 55 mph.  None of that was done with the A/C running.

The new clutch feels great and is super easy on the leg.  The brakes still feel a little soft but it matches up well with the clutch pedal feel and I can easily stop.  The power steering was great with no problems.  I checked when I made it home and there were no coolant leaks including the small place where I noticed a puddle a few weeks back.

I did notice a slight metal vibration noise when accelerating down one road.  I could not place it but wonder if it might be that the parking brake lever is touching the exhaust.  I'll check once everything cools back down.  It is a little hard to start when hot so I'll want to check the timing again.  The gas gauge seemed to fluctuate a lot with 5 gallons in the tank so I'll need to confirm the sending wire isn't loose.  The last thing is simple but I need to reset the radio as I lost all my presets and customization when the battery was disconnected.

Next, I'll need to find a route that is a bit more like the Power Tour route which was announced earlier this week.  I imagine the drive is much slower with many more stops.  That would be good to replicate in the coming days or weeks.

In other news, I checked and have the gasket for the front windshield, a full set of clips with some extras, and some 3M 08609 sealant.  The sealant was the wrong type and no one anywhere seems to have the proper 3M 05809.  I ended up purchasing some CRL-7708 which seems to be the exact same type stuff but just not made by 3M.  Now the question is if I do this myself...

No comments: