Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fan, Coil Bracket, and Pulley Restoration

This weekend I visited family and took advantage of the opportunity to use my Dad's media blasting cabinet. I media blasted the fan, coil bracket, water pump pulley, crank pulley, radio suppressor, and the windshield washer sprayers. It was a very productive day.

The water pump has the number C5AE-8509-B on the side of the pulley. The crank pulley has the number C5AE-E very lightly stamped on the inside of the pulley. I confirmed through a few concours judges that these are the original pulleys for my Mustang. These were originally painted semi-flat black (duplicated by Kryon 1613) and mounted with zinc coated bolts.

The coil bracket is the original and was also painted semi-flat black. The bolt used to mount the coil bracket was normally finished in phosphate and oil. I've not seen the design on the head of the coil bolt before. I would buy a new one but everytime I buy one which is marked as the original style, I receive a bolt with SEMS marking on the head.

The fan on the Mustang is not original but I cleaned it up and will use it again anyway. Many complain of problems with classic Mustangs is overheating. My Mustang would have originally come with a 4 blade fan and this is a 6 blade fan. I would hate to swap it out for an original only to find the engine then overheats. The fan looks very similar to the factory fan because of the design and use of rivets to hold on the blades.





No comments: