Thursday, December 11, 2008

Underhood Welding (Part 1)

A family friend named Danny agreed to come by today and helpme weld some holes in the engine compartment. The holes were made by the previous owner. They were made to mount a radiator overflow tank, vacuum canister, car alarm siren, and other items long since removed. There were a total of 16 holes which I had cleaned and preped for his arrival.

I'm new to welding and have never actually been around anyone welding before. I've seen it done on TV but we all know how much they omit. The welding went very quickly. The more time consuming part was sanding down the welds with a grinder loaded with 24-36 grit paper.

I'll need to clean up the welds a little further before primer. I also need to create a patch panel for under the battery. Once this piece is ready, Danny said he would come by and help me weld it in.

No comments: