Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Fan Spacer Restoration

The fan spacer for the Mustang is very scratched up and dirty. I looked through a few parts catalogs to price a replacement but found original style fan spacers are not sold. There are aftermarket pieces which look nice but cost $16-$20. To find an original, I'd need to shop on eBay.

While looking over mine last night, I noticed it was solid aluminum. The piece almost has a brushed look to the metal. I cleaned the piece with Fantastic cleaner and then used very fine steel wool to clean up the deeper scratches and marks. Since I scrubed in the direction of the original brushed marks, it did not change the appearance of the piece.

I would have liked to polish the piece off with some aluminum wheel cleaner but I do not have any. Instead, I put a polishing wheel on my Dremel and sprayed W-40 on it. This worked very well to clean the last bits of dirt off and polished the piece up well. While it is not perfect, I think it will work out fine.

The original style is the same from '65-'67. They do not have complete part numbers but normally have a abbreviated engineering number on the part which protrudes through the fan. The actual part numbers of the pieces used in '67 are:
67 w/o AC - 3.15" C5OZ-8546-A (normally marked with C5OE-A)
67 w/AC - 2.18" C6OZ-8546-B (normally no marking)
67 with/without thermactor C4AZ-8546-B (normally no marking)


Before:

After:

No comments: