Sunday, May 12, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - AC Part 6 - AC Box Installation

With the help of my son, I installed the A/C box under the dash of the Mustang today.  This required the removal of the glove box, radio, and the wiring for the A/F meter as it entered through one of the old heater hose holes.  The box was actually much either to install than I expected.  Due to its size, I expected it to be a pain but it was rather easy.  

The box mounts in some of the stock locations which is great as there are fewer holes placed in the vehicle.  I'd hoped to reuse the stock A/C plate on the firewall but the hose configuration is completely different with the Classic Auto Air system.  I hoped to use the original one as it is metal and the Classic Auto Air is just an inexpensive piece of ABS plastic (Classic Auto Air version in lower left).


The A/C box tucks up fairly tight and is held in place by three bolts.  It mounts to a factory tab beside the passenger cowl vent, the bracket behind the glove box in the picture below, and then a third from the engine compartment where the various hose connections are located.  They are all on the passenger side thought.  I'm tempted to add something behind the radio if possible to keep it level and ensure it does not move around.  


I keep handling a few tasks each day.  I still need to install the condenser, heater/dryer,  heater hoses, refrigerant lines, control module, driver A/C vent, and all the hoses for routing the air inside the vehicle  Once those are all complete, I'll still need to get the system charged.  I hope to finish everything over the next week.  This will give me approximately a month to drive the Mustang around and see if there are any remaining items to address before the road trip.

No comments: