Monday, May 27, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - AC Part 10 - Final Steps

This week I finalized the installation of the air conditioning system.  I installed the driver and passenger side vents and then reinstalled the glove box, radio, and instrument cluster.  I sealed up the various connections at the firewall with the black rubber sealant material provided by Classic Auto Air.  I removed the A/C belt, filled the system with anti-freeze, and then ran the motor for a while to get coolant circulating through the system.  

I drove the car a bit on Thursday evening to check the temperature the new fan turns on and to get newly added coolant circulating to see if more was needed.  Then I drove the Mustang to work on Friday just as a small test run to see if there were any issues.  So far everything is working without a problem.  The temperature seems to sit at 195 just about all the time which does not seem to bad.  From what I understand, it would not be strange to get to 205 during traffic but it should not go any higher.

The only items remaining are tat I don't like the evaporator drain hose as it won't bend and sticks straight out into the header and I need to get refrigerant added.  My first drive this past Thursday is exactly three weeks from the day we leave from Tulsa.  I'm cutting it a little close on the things I hoped to have done.  I'm going to need to drive it fairly regularly to feel comfortable with the long drive.  

Unfortunately, there are no pictures to share as all the work was fairly uninteresting, small tasks.  

No comments: