Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - AC Part 4 - Water Pump Pulley

I purchased a replacement water pump pulley this past week on eBay.  The pulley is 5.82" in diameter versus my current pulley diameter of 6.25"  While the listing stated it was 2.25" offset, it is actually closer to 2" but that actually seems to work better with the Classic Auto Air crank pulley.  You can see this in my image of the original water pump pulley as it does not line up properly.  

The new pulley is a C6AZ-8509-G which I believe is from a 240 ci engine.  It worked perfectly for my application.  The narrower diameter works with the Classic Auto Air crank pulley.  Additionally, the smaller diameter will spin it a slight be faster which might be beneficial for cooling purposes.




I did not take any real pictures of the painted part.  I include the pictures above with the part numbers as it is not cast into the part.  However, I do have the following picture of the pulley installed.



With the water pump pulley installed, I was able to reinstall the belt and tighten up the alternator.  I then installed the belt for the air conditioning.  The Classic Auto Air instructions indicate you need a 51" belt but that was too long.  I actually found that a 49.5" belt works best with the amount of adjustment possible with the A/C belt tensioner.


No comments: