Saturday, May 11, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - Radiator Shroud & Fan

Tonight, I finished the installation of the new Flex-a-Lite 118 Electric Fan and Champion 116-FS339 fan shroud which is custom fit to my Champion radiator.  

The new fan is a 2,500 CFM fan and I'm replacing a 2,190 CFM Flex-a-Lite S-Blade 336 fan so the performance should be similar.  The main difference is the new fan is much thinner (3.187" thick).  I had to switch to a thinner fan in order to insert the shroud.  The original electric fan just barely fit at 4" so this new fan allowed for the .75" thick Champion fan shroud.


I retained the original Flex-A-Lite 31147 adjustable fan controller.  I'll need to adjust it as I don't think it is set all that well right now.  However, it is connected and I took the time to carefully do all the connections properly with heat shrink.  


I barely have enough space between the back of the fan and the water pump pulley for a fan belt to slide between.  This is about a close as it gets.  


I've had incidents when the Mustang has run hot without the air conditioning system.  My understanding is the fan shroud should help this a considerable amount.  I'm hopeful this improves the performance of the cooling system.  It will probably help a bit more than my water pump pulley is a little smaller in diameter as it will spin a big faster now.  

The original water pump pulley was 6.25" in diameter.  I switched to a C6AZ-8509-G water pump pulley which is 5.82" in diameter.  This will spin the water pump about 7% faster which is not much but should help a bit at idle.

No comments: