Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - AC Part 2 - Compressor Install 2

After work today, I picked up a Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket Set (TCS-45008), Permatex Water Pump & Thermostat Housing Gasket Maker, a tube of Loctite Thread Sealant, and 9' of 5/8" heater hose.  After eating dinner, I started work on the air conditioning system.

I installed the crank pulley which came with the Classic Auto Air System.  I then moved on to reinstalling the water pump.  Afterwards, I installed the alternator and the alternator bracket.  This allowed me to install the front compressor bracket and then the compressor itself. 



I then encountered my first problem when I went to install the newly painted water pump pulley.  I found that it no longer fit as it contacted the crank pulley.  I reviewed the paperwork and it seems that the system will only work if you have a water pump pulley under 6".



This was a bit of a disappointment as I still want to buy a radiator shroud and a new electric fan that will work with it.  I really didn't want to spend more money or different parts when I expected the water pump pulley to work.  However, I did find a smaller water pump pulley 5.82" on eBay which is an OEM Ford pump with the same offset so I purchased it tonight.  I'll need to switch to working on something else as it will take it a bit to arrive so I can finish up the under hood components.

The label and numbers on the compressor are not visible when installed.  I took the following picture to reference those numbers if needed later.


No comments: