Sunday, May 12, 2019

Preparing for Ford Nationals - Anti-Freeze Leaks

While working on the A/C install, I removed the water pump and reinstalled it with new gaskets a week ago.  This was one of the steps planned for addressing the anti-freeze leaks.  The second was addressing a leak from the thermostat housing.  

I'm quite sure when I purchased the Mustang, there was a leak from the thermostat housing.  This has continued despite switching to the Weiand Stealth intake, flat sanding the thermostat housing, and then switching to the Edlebrock intake and new thermostat housing.  I'm going to try to do it perfect this time as the leak persisting with all these configurations points to it being an installation problem.

I removed the thermostat housing and you could see where anti-freeze was leaking past the gasket.  As seen below, the gasket was soaked as evident by the dark blue color.  I'm not sure it adhered well either as half of it just came off with almost no residue.  




I believe I used Permatex Ultra Grey last time I installed the thermostat housing.  This time, I'm using a new Fel-Pro 35067 gasket, Permatex Water Pump & Thermostat Housing Gasket Maker, and Loctite Thread Sealant.  I'm hopeful this combination will stop the leak.

With everything apart, I cleaned off all the gasket material and then wiped down everything with mineral spirits to get it as clean as possible.  




The job is now done and will have plenty of time to dry as I finish up the A/C.  I'll need to touch all the bolts and clamps before filling it up to ensure nothing gets loose as it dries.  

As part of this process, I also swapped out the clamps that I'm using on all the hoses.  I was originally using the tower style clamps which were original to the vehicle.  However, I question if they get a solid seal round the entire hose.  This time I reinstalled everything with a set of Scott Drake Stainless, FoMoCo labeled worm clamps.



No comments: