Saturday, November 8, 2008

Engine Paint Preparation 1

I spent a little time this weekend cleaning up the engine. There are a couple of coats of black and light blue paint on the motor plus a layer of grime. I'm working to strip off most of this just for a quick coat of paint. This will be redone in the next few years when the time comes to pull the motor. However, since everything is out it does not take much time to paint it a little so it looks better until then.

I used a wire wheel to clean up the ends of the heads, the thermostat housing, the water pump, and timing cover (the red in the picture is the last of some primer I had on hand). I then removed the valve covers and cleaned them up a little. The spark plug wires were really dirty (from all the metal stripping) so I took them off and cleaned them. The final job was repainting the ignition coil as it looked bad but worked fine. All these parts found their way into my part warehouse (formerly known as our walk-in closet).


No comments: