Saturday, November 22, 2008

Purchase of Rims & Tires

I won the eBay auction fot the set of 1969 Style Steel rim and tire set. The final price was $500 which is not too bad considering the tires are new and cost $300.

I drove to Magnolia this morning to pick up the tires. It was a nice drive as it is getting cold and not too many people were on the road. I made it to Magnolia in about an hour. The sellers name was Jarrod Griffin who is an Aggie (Class of 1995).

The seller was really nice and we spoke for a while after I loaded up the wheels. He has a 1969 Mustang couple which he is restoring. His is considerably farther along than mine but his attention to detail is not as great. He has a great paint job and nice new rims (Magnum 500) but the engine compartment and interior lack detailing. Overall it is a good car and not everyone is as OCD as me).

The tires are Road Hugger 225-70R14's which are better than the RoadMaster 215-70R14 tires I currently have. Despite how close their specifications are, the new tires are about 3/4" to 1" taller and 1/2" wider. The new ones also have raised white letters on the sidewall which makes the larger sidewalls not seem out of place.

The first picture below was the rim/tire I was using followed by the new rim/tire.

No comments: