Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Rims & Tire Package Options

I've known from the beginning the upgrade to disc brakes would require I use a different rim and tire combination. The stock steel wheel used on '67 Mustangs with drum brakes just does not have any room for a disc and caliper of any reasonable size. I've just hesistated on buying any as I don't want to spend a large amount of money on rims at this point in the project.

I've been looking at the items available on eBay for a few months now. The options are basically include aftermarket rims, original sytle rims, and take-offs from a new Mustang.

Many are buying the rims and tires taken off of new Mustangs for classic Mustangs. These are 16" or 17" rims with new tires. The packages sell for between $550 and $650. These are not ultimately what I would like but they would allow me to drive the Mustang. Selecting one of these would mean the following:
- New tires and rims in a popular size for a good price
- The offset is wrong requiring the use of spacers up to 1.5" wide
- Low resale value when I decide to sell the rims
- The tires are larger in circumference than stock which impacts speedometer function and appearance.

I've looked for aftermarket rims of the correct offset but they cost around $150 - $175 each. After purchasing tires, this would put me way out of my price range. I've not seen any used packages of these tires on eBay or CraigsList.com in my area.

I've also looked at the original style rims on eBay and decided to bid on a set of these this week. They are original GT Styled Steel rims from a 1969 Mustang. These were original used along with the disc brake system I purchased. They are popular so they would have resale value if I later change my mind. They come with new tires and trim rings. Finally, these rims bolt on perfectly without the use of spacers and keep the classic appearance.

No comments: