Sunday, November 9, 2008

Firewall Sanding & Rust Encapsulation

I spent a large amount of time working on the firewall again today. The area around the master cylinder was pitted with rust. A little over a week ago I treated this area with rust converter and then put on a coat of All-Metal filler. Since then, I have worked to sand down the area. I did not put on a very thick coat but the filler is very difficult to sand down as it is almost as hard as metal.

I worked on the area for much of the afternoon and have most of it smooth. There are four screws which protude from the passenger area into the engine bay. These sections were difficult as there was pitting and it was difficult to use an filler and still be able to sand it smooth. While this area may not be perfect it is less visible and much better than it was previously.

I just finished putting a coat of Rust Encapsulator on the shock towers and firewall. This completes my task of Rust Encapsulating all the areas I've stripped and plan to repaint. I've posted a picture of the engine bay. There is dust and dirt on some of the previously painted areas. Once I have the welding done to fill in the small holes around the engine bay, I've sand everything put another coat of Rust Encapsulator and then paint everything black. Unfortunatley, there is still a long road ahead.

No comments: