Sunday, November 30, 2008

Instrument Cluster Repair

After the marathon day yesterday, I decided to take it easy today.

While watching car shows on TV, I took apart the instrument cluster. The main goal was to remove a non-functional, aftermarket oil pressure gauge mounted in the instrument bezel. The gauge is a mechanical gauge which was working but the connection at the motor was bad and leaked oil all over the engine compartment. Once I took it apart, removing the aftermarket oil gauge took no time.

I do not know the number of original miles on the Mustang. When A/C was added to the vehicle, all of the dash bezels including the instrument cluster were replaced with those from a '68 Mustang. The title history I obtained is of no assistance as they do not track miles on vehicles this old. So I set the miles to 515.8 which is the number of miles I put on the Mustang since purchase (67,519.6 current miles - 67,003.8 miles at purchase).

Since I took everything apart to remove these items, I decided to do a little extra work on the piece. I painted the back plate for the instrument cluster. The inside was painted a high gloss white (like original) to make the lights for effective. I also replaced light bulbs which had burnt out. Finally, I fixed up the wiring on the back as the previous owner modified some of the wiring.

Finally, I cleaned all the gauges and repainted the needles with some gloss red model paint. The finished product was great but I put it back behind the original, old bezel. It does not look like much work has been put into the piece but it should work very well now and the white face oil pressure gauge is gone.




No comments: