Saturday, November 29, 2008

Engine Prep & Paint

I'm very pleased with the progress I made today on the Mustang.

I started small by stripping the back portion of the passenger frame rail. I then cleaned the engine block in preparation for paint. I moved next to cleaning the engine block expecting to paint it tomorrow or during this coming week. However, I was making such progress I did not want to stop. I taped off the engine, primered the engine (2 coats), and then painted the engine with at least 3 entire coats (2 cans). Once the engine was done, I moved on to the valve covers and painted them.

The paint I used for the engine is Krylon Engine Paint (Ford Dark Blue - 1923). I really like the appearance of this paint but must order it from National Parts Depot (NPD). I used it previously on the oil pan and the valve covers when I replaced those gaskets earlier in the project.

After rebuilding the carb, I wanted to paint the intake manifold but was out of the Kyrlon paint. I purchased some Dupli-Color Engine Enamel (Ford Dark Blue - DE1606) instead at O'Reillys. While the color was close it had too much gloss. I prefer the Kyrlon as it is a low gloss paint.

A picture of the painted engine is included below. Ignore the condition of the cardboard below the engine as I was too tired to clean up.


Edit (11/30/08): After looking at the painted engine, I checked some of the pictures I took the night I purchased the Mustang. Here is just one which captures the condition of the engine bay.

No comments: