Friday, March 13, 2009

Engine Compartment Painting

After scrubbing the engine compartment, subframe, and fenderwells with 3M scour pads (and water), I wiped down the frame tonight with Klean Strip Clean-All. This cleaned any remaining grease from the panels. I needed to lightly sand the front frame rails and sway bar mounts. I then used USC tack cloths as a final step in paint preparation.

I then used Rust Encapsulator to coat all of the engine bay and undercarriage of the car. I used almost two cans. Since there was already one coat on all the metal, this provided me with a total of about 2.5 coats. Since I already painted the fenderwells with Rust Encapsulator, I went ahead and painted the outside frame rails with Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black.

The Rust Encapsulator requires 6-8 hours of dry time and the Extreme Chassis Black requires 24 hours. When I wake up in the morning, I'll put a coat of Extreme Chassis Black on the subframe. I'll then periodically paint the entire engine bay area with the Krylon 1613 until I have at least three coats.

I've included a picture of the engine compartment and garage. The paint is not completely dry and will dry overnight. You can see the overspray all over the floor. The lines in the overspray were created by rolling around under the car on a creeper to paint the undercarriage.

No comments: