Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Additional Brake Caliper Problems

I'm frustrated.

My disc brake calipers arrived in the mail today from ChockoStang. The calipers look great. The quality of these greatly exceeds that of my original calipers or the rebuild ones from NAPA. I loaded a caliper and found it fits over the disc without any trouble.

I installed the passenger side first. It was a little difficult to install the guide pins as the alignment was not perfect. They slid in but not as easily as I imagined. The pad drags slightly on the disc but I'm not sure if this will be an issue after break-in.

When I moved on the to the passenger side, I encountered a problem. The outer pad is attached to the caliper with two locking pins. Unfortunately, the hole in the caliper does not line up with the hole in the pad. I assumed the problem was caused by the pad but I could not reposition it to align the hole as it locks into a certain position on the caliper.

I checked the pad in both my original calipers and the hole aligned perfectly. I expected it to be caused by the pad rather than the caliper. I'm sure I'll have a tough time explaining this to Dan at ChockoStang. He likely already thinks I'm crazy as I've been unable to fit previous caliper and pad combinations over my stock sized rotor.

No comments: