Sunday, March 1, 2009

Disc Brake Install Problem

On January 11th, I assembled the spindle. At the time, I did not have brake pads to complete the entire spindle/brake system. I've been working to complete the brake system since with little success.

I ordered some brake pads from NAPA on January 19th. I worked to install them that evening but the caliper would not fit over the disc with the pads installed. There was simply not enough space between the pads. Since all the parts were new except the calipers, I assumed they were the cause.

A couple of days later, I tried to push the caliper piston further back in the caliper with a C clamp but it would not move. I took the caliper to NAPA to ask them about the problem. They believed there was an issue the amount to piston stuck out of the caliper bore. Their advice was to order new calipers for $45.49 each ($16.50 core charge). If they did not work, I would not need to buy them.

The new calipers arrived on January 27th. I tried to install them with the same NAPA pads. Unfortunately, they would still not fit over the rotor. They were a little larger but it did not make enough of a difference. The situation does not make much sense as I'm now using NAPA discs, calipers, and pads and everything just does not fit. Unfortunately, NAPA does not understand why this would occur and can only offer to order another set of calipers to see if they are different.

On February 7th, I called all the local auto part stores to determine who had pads, discs, and calipers in stock. I planned to visit each to compare their parts to the ones I had. Unfortunately, I could only find stores with pads in stock. I checked the pads at three stores and found they were all the same thickness as the ones I purchased from NAPA (.55").

I post about the restoration of my Mustang on a Vintage Mustang Forum. I posted about the issue and found someone else experienced the same problem. They went through all the steps I did and they were never able to find parts with worked through a local auto parts store. A Mustang vendor called ChockoStang helped him and mailed him a complete caliper set with pads which worked.

This morning, I called Dan at ChockoStang after emailing him Friday. We reviewed the disc, bearings, and races used in the spindle. Once we confirmed they were all correct, he offered to install a caliper and pads on a complete spindle at his shop and mail them to me. This should ensure the parts fit.

I returned the NAPA pads and calipers this morning. The total from those was $115.04. The total price from ChockoStang was $107.00. While ChockoStang is cheaper, they do not allow me to return the original calipers to get the core charge ($33). I'll likely end up selling them on eBay.

No comments: