Sunday, March 29, 2009

Splash Guards & Reinstalling Sheet Metal

Kyle and his dad stopped by this morning to see the progress I'd made on the Mustang. Kyle last saw the Mustang when we installed the coil springs a week and a half ago.

My next goal is to have the car reassembled and inspected by this coming weekend. To reach this goal, I need to first complete the rear splash shields so the fenders can be installed. I'm going to install a few parts unfinished so I can begin driving the Mustang again. I'll take them off and refinish them as time allows. I'm taking this step as the parts I need to refinish require media blasting and I won't have access to the media blasting cabinet for a couple more weeks.

I stripped and painted one of the back splash guards this past Wednesday night. I then used the undercoat/bedliner on it Friday night and Saturday morning. The rubber surround was attached with the original style stapes last night. I then worked on the other splash guard yesterday and this morning to finish it also.

I started with the fenders and the new headlight bucket (the original driver's side was badly cracked). They were not too difficult to install. I lined them up properly and tighened all the underhood bolts. I then added the hood support (unfinished), grill (unfinished), and stone shield. I stopped as I'm not sure if I want to go ahead and refinish the bumper brackets first since they are going to be hard to remove later.

I'm excited to see the Mustang back together again. While I always knew I would get it back together, there were many times when the path ahead seemed like it would take forever. I started this project on May 21st of last year. I put everything on but the sheetmetal and started the car on March 20th of this year. Ten months is a long time but I've learned a large amount and the car is much better as a result.

I'll try to work a little each night this week. To get the Mustang running and inspected, I need to do the following:
- Alignment
- Shorten the sway bar end links
- Install the bumper
- Install the front valence
- Install the grill trim
- Install the headlights
- Break in the new pads/discs





No comments: