Saturday, March 14, 2009

Engine Compartment Painting 2

The Rust Encapsulator I applied last night had plenty of time to dry this morning. I started off this morning by checking all the panels for runs or rough spots. I found a few and used 400 grit sand paper to clean up those areas. I then used the tack cloth on the engine bay to clean off any residue or dust.

I used three coats of Krylon 1613 on all engine compartment surfaces. I went a little light with the first coat and increased the amount of paint used with each coat. This required about five cans of paint.

I then moved to the undercarriage and coated the undercarriage with Extreme Chassis Black. I don't like the level of gloss with the Chassis Black but it is much more durable than any of the other spray paints. After putting two coast of Chassis Black on the subframe and frame rails, I might top coat with the Krylon for a better appearance.

I'll wait for everything to dry during the day today. I'll probably put undercoating in the wheel wells later this afternoon. The Chassis Black will need to dry overnight and then I'll put another coat of Chassis Black on in the morning. Once it dries, I'll touch up any areas with Chassis Black overspray, put on a little more undercoat in the fenderwells, and then

No comments: