Monday, March 16, 2009

Engine Compartment Assembly

Yesterday morning, I taped off all holes in the fenderwells from the engine side. I then sprayed three coats of Duplicolor bed liner on each side. I'm using bedliner as undercoat as it is very durable. I tried using a 3M undercoat product on some test metal and the coil covers and it does not seem like it would hold up very well.

I planned to topcoat the Extreme Chassis Black on the frame rails with the Krylon 1613. I tested it on the lower side of the frame rail. It was evident the paint was not going to adhere well. I decided I would just leave the frame rails and undercarriage in the Extreme Chassis Black.

After mailing the items I recently sold on eBay (made about $150), I cleaned out the paint overspray from the garage. I then started the reassembly process at about 3 o'clock. Kyle arrived at 6 o'clock and we continued working until about 11 o'clock last night. The following was installed:

- Steering Box, Column, and Instrument Cluster
- Rubber Plugs for Engine Compartment Holes
- Z bar and All Clutch Linkage Parts
- Throttle Linkage and Carburetor
- Speedometer Cable
- Fresh Air Vent
- Windshield Washer Reservoir
- Battery Tray & Battery
- Combination Vale & Brake Lines
- UCA, LCA, and Roller Spring Perches
- Complete Spindles w/Disc Brakes
- Adjustable Strut Rods & 1 1/8 Sway Bat
- Engine Crossmember
- Fuel Line & Pump

The bolts for the suspension parts are just finger tight. I'll check the shop manual for torque values and then go around checking everything. Afterwards, I'll install the springs and will put the car back on its own tires.

I noticed a small chip on the sway bar and another on the engine crossmember. I'm suprised as they are coated in Extreme Chassis Black with is supposed to be very resistant to any chips. I'll try to touch these up in the morning.



No comments: