Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Engine Comparment Assembly 2

I started fairly early again this morning. I started working on the little details to complete the work last night.

I installed the spark plug wires, tachometer wiring, and spark plug wires. I spent a little while working on the Mr. Mustang engine gauge harness so it would fit the car properly. I then installed the engine gauge harness, heater hose plugs, A/C panel, and ground to firewall cable. I then located the bolt needed to finish installing the speedometer cable into the transmission.

I installed the brake line clips on the frame rails next, cleaned up the fuel hose routing, and then torqued down all of the suspension bolts according to my '67 Shop Manual. I ran the main wiring harness through the engine bay using the concours clips to hold each section in place. Next came the radiator, hoses, alternator, pullies, fan, and belt.

Kyle arrived and we bench bled the master cylinder. I did not loose much brake fluid installing the master cylinder which was suprising. However, some did get on the new paint which took the paint off.

I moved to the back passenger wheel and we started the bleeding process. Once I stopped seeing bubbles and Kyle noted the pedal getting firmer, I moved to the driver side rear wheel. Kyle filled the m/c with more fluid and we started again. After bleeding about 10 times, Kyle checked the m/c and found brake fluid everywhere. It was coming out of the m/c ports, the top ports of the m/c, and the residual pressure valve.

I loosed and retighten the lines from the m/c to the proportioning valve and we checked it again. This time the only leak was at the residual pressure valve. Unfortunately, the damage had been done as much of the paint is now covered with streaks were the brake fluid ran down the engine compartment.

After taking apart the residual pressure valve, I found the problem was with the end I flared. It looks horrible and if I had noticed I would have never tried to use it. Not sure how this occurred but we called it a night since we were not able to make any additional forward progress.

No comments: