Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fuel Gauge Incorrect

The fuel gauge in the Mustang has never worked properly. When I originally purchased the Mustang, it did not read anything so I replaced the sending unit. This helped some but the reading was always too low.

I then believed the problem was with the wiring. I ran a temporary wire to the tank to replace the original and installed a ground wire to the sending unit. These helped also but the gauge would go high when the car was first turned on and would then drop to half the original reading. It was not until during the restoration, I noticed the ground to the body was missing at the firewall.

With the firewall ground in place an my new CVR installed, I expected it would work better. However, the gauge immediately showed full when I turned on the key. After a little research yesterday, I found it was due to a mounting post on the back of the gauge grounding to the casing. I'll need to fill up the car to test the gauge as I'm not longer sure of how much gas is in the tank.

No comments: